Dec 17

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide, and Vice President of the Center for Civil War Photography, Garry Adelman. With Barry Martin and Tom Danninger, Garry created the CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. Garry contorts to point to some rock or bird or tree or other historian with whom he has a problem. He’s in the Slaughter Pen, October 2010. Photo by Norwood Smith.

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Garry Adelman, along with colleagues Tom Danninger and Barry Martin, systematically located the camera positions of the 237 photographs included in the Annual Reports of the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission, 1893-1904. The trio arranged the photos into seventeen sections and present the images in a “then & now” format along with a history of the project and the Park Commission on their CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. We continue their series with a sampling from each of the seventeen sections.

The Gettysburg National Park Commission (GNPC) issued annual reports from its creation in 1893 until stewardship was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933. The reports, issued each November, covering that year through October, outlined the work of the GNPC for that year. Reports from 1893-1904 were bound into one volume with the photographs that accompanied each report (a practice started with the 1895 report) printed en masse after the text. Together, these images provide a comprehensive view of the battlefield and the Commission’s work available nowhere else. Comparing the images to the same sites today speaks to the important issues of preservation, commercialization, monumentation, and the growth of the GNMP. It’s also simply “cool” to look at then & now photos!

For more in the Then & Now series, please click here.

In today’s Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger show photographs taken in the area of Hancock Avenue and The Angle.

This map, from the Gettysburg Park Commission Photos Then and Now CD, shows us the locations for the Then and Now photographs. In today’s post we show photographs in the area of Hancock Avenue and The Angle.

View #13: “Hancock Ave, Loop at the Angle.” This view was taken in 1896.

The Hancock Ave “Loop,” known as Webb Ave, was removed years ago. Looking west, the Codori farm is visible in the center distance. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken in 2004.

View #19: “Entrance to Hancock Ave, Ziegler’s Grove.” This view was taken in 1898.

Looking west from the Taneytown Rd, the left half of this view is today the old parking area at the former location of the Cyclorama. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken in 2005.

To see other posts by Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides, click here.


About Us  •  Support  •  Archives  •  Subscribe  •  Creative Commons License