Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide, and Vice President of the Center for Civil War Photography,
Garry Adelman (far right), along with Barry Martin (left) and Tom Danninger (second from right) created the CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. Here they are at the Hunley Museum in Charleston, South Carolina with Ed Bearss. This view was taken facing northwest on Saturday October 3, 2009.
Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Garry Adelman, along with colleagues Tom Danninger and Barry Martin, systematically located the camera positions of the 237 photographs included in the Annual Reports of the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission, 1893-1904. The trio arranged the photos into seventeen sections and present the images in a “then & now” format along with a history of the project and the Park Commission on their CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. We continue their series with a sampling from each of the seventeen sections.
The Gettysburg National Park Commission (GNPC) issued annual reports from its creation in 1893 until stewardship was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933. The reports, issued each November, covering that year through October, outlined the work of the GNPC for that year. Reports from 1893-1904 were bound into one volume with the photographs that accompanied each report (a practice started with the 1895 report) printed en masse after the text. Together, these images provide a comprehensive view of the battlefield and the Commission’s work available nowhere else. Comparing the images to the same sites today speaks to the important issues of preservation, commercialization, monumentation, and the growth of the GNMP. It’s also simply “cool” to look at then & now photos!
In our first post we looked at photgraphs taken on West McPherson’s Ridge.
In our second post we showed photographs taken on East McPherson’s Ridge.
In our third Then and Now post, we showed Howard Avenue and monuments for the Army of the Potomac’s Eleventh Corps.
In our fourth post we continued showing Then and Now photographs on Howard Avenue, this time on Barlow’s Knoll.
In our fifth post we show photographs taken for the Gettysburg National Park Commission along Oak Ridge/Seminary Ridge.
In our sixth Then and Now post we showed photographs of the July 1st battlefield along Forney’s Ridge, and where the east arm of McPherson’s Ridge ends near Oak Ridge.
In our seventh post of Gettysburg Then and Now photographs, Garry, Barry, and Tom presented photographs taken in Evergreen Cemetery and the Soldiers National Cemetery.
In the eighth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger presented photographs on East Cemetery Hill.
In today’s Gettysburg Then and Now post Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger present photographs taken on Seminary Ridge near the Lutheran Theological Seminary.
View #1: Foundation work of roadway on Seminary Avenue. This view was taken facing north in 1895.
The house in the center background is that of Phillip Charles Henry Krauth which still stands on Seminary Ridge today. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken facing north in November 2004.
View #4: Itinerary tablets, Army of Northern Virginia, West Confederate Avenue. This view was taken facing northwest in 1903.
These itinerary tablets are now mounted on granite farther south on Seminary Ridge’s West Confederate Avenue. This view looks towards the Fairfield Road. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken facing northwest in October 2002.
To see other posts by Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides, click here.