Jun 8

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide, and Vice President of the Center for Civil War Photography,
Garry Adelman, is seen standing along Warren Avenue in Plum Run Valley/Valley of Death, and with Devil’s Den/Houck’s Ridge in the background. With Barry Martin and Tom Danninger he created the CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. This view was taken facing southwest at approximately 2:15 PM on Sunday, March 21, 2010.

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Garry Adelman, along with colleagues Tom Danninger and Barry Martin, systematically located the camera positions of the 237 photographs included in the Annual Reports of the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission, 1893-1904. The trio arranged the photos into seventeen sections and present the images in a “then & now” format along with a history of the project and the Park Commission on their CD, The Gettysburg Park Commission Photos: Then & Now. We continue their series with a sampling from each of the seventeen sections.

The Gettysburg National Park Commission (GNPC) issued annual reports from its creation in 1893 until stewardship was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933. The reports, issued each November, covering that year through October, outlined the work of the GNPC for that year. Reports from 1893-1904 were bound into one volume with the photographs that accompanied each report (a practice started with the 1895 report) printed en masse after the text. Together, these images provide a comprehensive view of the battlefield and the Commission’s work available nowhere else. Comparing the images to the same sites today speaks to the important issues of preservation, commercialization, monumentation, and the growth of the GNMP. It’s also simply “cool” to look at then & now photos!

In our first post we looked at photgraphs taken on West McPherson’s Ridge.

In our second post we showed photographs taken on East McPherson’s Ridge.

In our third Then and Now post, we showed Howard Avenue and monuments for the Army of the Potomac’s Eleventh Corps.

In our fourth post we continued showing Then and Now photographs on Howard Avenue, this time on Barlow’s Knoll.

In our fifth post we show photographs taken for the Gettysburg National Park Commission along Oak Ridge/Seminary Ridge.

In our sixth Then and Now post we showed photographs of the July 1st battlefield along Forney’s Ridge, and where the east arm of McPherson’s Ridge ends near Oak Ridge.

In our seventh post of Gettysburg Then and Now photographs, Garry, Barry, and Tom presented photographs taken in Evergreen Cemetery and the Soldiers National Cemetery.

In the eighth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger presented photographs on East Cemetery Hill.

In our ninth Gettysburg Then and Now post Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger presented photographs taken on Seminary Ridge near the Lutheran Theological Seminary.

In the tenth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger present photographs taken on Seminary Ridge near Shultz’s Woods and McMillan Woods.

In the eleventh Gettysburg Then and Now post, Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide Garry Adelman, along with Barry Martin and Tom Danninger show us photographs on Big Round Top.

In the twelfth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin and Tom Danninger show us where they matched up other old photos on Big Round Top.

In the thirteenth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin and Tom Danninger matched up photographs taken on Chamberlain Avenue, and the intersection of Wright Avenue, Warren Avenue, and Sykes Avenue.

In the fourteenth Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger concentrate on photographs taken in the Valley of Death.

In today’s Gettysburg Then and Now post, Garry Adelman, Barry Martin, and Tom Danninger focus on photographs taken in the area of Devil’s Den.

This map, from the Gettysburg Park Commission Photos Then and Now CD, shows us the locations for the Then and Now photographs. In today’s post we show photographs taken near Devil’s Den.

View #12:, Sickles Avenue, Devil’s Den. This view was taken facing west in 1898.

Guard and chain balls were removed long ago but a slight remnant remains in one of the rocks along the road at Devil’s Den. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken facing west in 2003.

View #14: Warren Avenue West from Sickles Avenue. This view was taken facing east in 1897.

The Slaughter Pen is located just beyond the hitching rail. This modern view of the previous photograph was taken facing east in 2006.

Purchase all the photographs from the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission Reports on this CD.

To see other posts by Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides, click here.


About Us  •  Support  •  Archives  •  Subscribe  •  Creative Commons License