Jan 8



Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman is our host for the series on Adams County Civil War Taverns. He is standing by the Willow Springs Hotel at the junction of Bingaman Road (where John is standing) and the Chambersburg Pike which is mostly out of sight on the right. This view was taken facing northwest at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.

Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman is a native of New Jersey and a resident of Adams County, Pennsylvania since 2000. He is U.S. Navy, Vietnam War Veteran. John has been a Licensed Battlefield Guide since 2004.

In our first post, Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman began his series on Adams County Civil War Taverns. He started at the Graffenberg Tavern on South Mountain in Franklin Township.

In our second tavern post, Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman continues his tavern tour by showing the location of Newman’s Tavern. He also describes a “bushwacking” incident on June 23, 1863.

In today’s Adams County Civil War Taverns’ post, Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman shows us the Willow Springs Hotel, the junction of the Hilltown Road and the Chambersburg Pike, and the location of Mary Bruch’s Tavern.



This map shows the location of the videos taken during our series on Adams County Civil War Taverns. Videos #1-3 were taken at the site of the Graffenburg Tavern on the north side of the Chambersburg Pike, U.S. 30. Video #4 was taken at Newman’s Tavern at the junction of Newman Road with old U.S. Highway 30. Videos #5 and #6 were taking farther east on old U.S. 30 where the Cashtown Gap is first clearly visible. Video #7 was taken at the Willow Springs Hotel. Video #8 was taken at the junction of the Hilltown Road and the Chambersburg Pike. Video #9 was taken on the Chambersburg Pike overlooking Tavern. This map was created facing north at approximately 6:30 PM on Wednesday, December 2, 2009.



The Willow Springs Hotel operated as a tavern and/or hotel from 1795 to approximately 1872. Confederates visited it in 1862 and 1863. This view was taken facing southwest at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

In Video #7 (Videos #1-#6 were shown in our previous tavern post) Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman is standing on the Bingaman Road at the Willow Springs Tavern. He explains how the Confederates took more than a few items from the owner, Henry Munshower, on their visits. This view was taken facing northwest at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman is standing at the junction of the Hilltown Road on the left and the Chambersburg Pike which keeps going “straight” over the hill. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

In Video #8 Licensed Battlefield Guide John Winkleman is standing at the junction of the Hilltown Road and the Chambersburg Pike. He describes how Confederates approaching Gettysburg divided up their forces in this area by taking the different roads over the east side of South Mountain. This view was taken facing southwest to northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



We have moved farther east on the Chambersburg Pike and we are looking along the Cashtown Pass. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



John Winkleman is standing near the Chambersburg Pike. Unfortunately the area behind him is “washed out,” but we’ll show you what’s down there. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



This photograph shows the areas of the three roads running through this area. We are standing near the Chambersburg Pike. At the bottom of the Cashtown Pass is the Hilltown Road which runs by the structures. Halfway up the slope on the other side are other structures. Near those buildings runs modern U.S. Highway 30. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

In Video #9 John Winkleman shows us Mary Bruch’s Tavern, and tells a story of Jubal Early’s visit there. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



Mary Bruch’s Tavern where Jubal Early acquired a section of the 1858 Adams County “wall” map. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.



The Hilltown Road is to the left of the red barn where the person is walking. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 3:30 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2009.

To see other posts by Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guides, click here.


About Us  •  Support  •  Archives  •  Subscribe  •  Creative Commons License