Jan 18



The William Patterson House on the east side of the Taneytown Road in Gettysburg National Military Park is missing many of its logs. The structure is being taken apart completely to check the logs to see if they have rotted before the structure is rebuilt. This view was taken facing northwest at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



The back (north side) of the William Patterson House. Because this was originally a one story building, this may be one of the few times that we will be able to see it without a second story. This view was taken facing south at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.

The William Patterson House on the east side of the Taneytown Road in Gettysburg National Military Park is being rebuilt from the ground up. The house was originally a one story log structure when it was first constructed in 1796 or 1798. Later on, board and batten siding were added, and also a second story. The logs are being removed and the house will be rebuilt from the foundation up. The building will not be opened to the public or become a park residence.



The foundation was reconstructed over the summer. This view was taken facing southwest at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



After the house is completely taken apart, an inspection team will look at all of the pieces. This view was taken facing southwest at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



At one time the kitchen was built separate from the house. The kitchen area is in the foreground. This view was taken facing west at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



Around 1820 the second story was added, and the kitchen was connected to the rest of the house. This view was taken from the east facing west at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



If the inspection team discovers any pieces that are unusable they will be replaced by new materials that look as close to the original as possible, including the same axe marks in the wood. This view was taken facing northwest at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



The vehicle has a “claw” by which it removes the logs from the house. This view was taken facing northwest at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



At the moment, it is estimated that 30% to 40% of the logs will have to be replaced. This view was taken facing northeast at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



The house is 18 feet wide from north to south (this side) and 25 feet long. This view was taken facing east at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.



It will take another year to restore the house. This view was taken facing southeast at approximately 1:00 PM on Saturday, January 17, 2009.

Related Posts:

Taneytown Road Battlefield Rehabilitation on July 18, 2008.
William Patterson House Stabilization on August 11, 2008.
Cemetery Ridge Rehabilitation Shows Subtleties of Terrain on September 2, 2008.
Tree Cutting on East Side of Cemetery Ridge Covers a Large Area on October 15, 2008.
William Patterson Tree Cutting Update on October 17, 2008.
William Patterson Field Earthworks on October 29, 2008.
Confederate Earthworks on Seminary Ridge on October 30, 2008.
William Patterson Farm Tree Cutting Update on November 9, 2008.
William Patterson Field Earthworks 1890s Photo on November 20, 2008.
William Patterson Farm Update and Patterson Field Panorama #4 on December 12, 2008.
Licensed Battlefield Guide Rich Bellamy:  Colonel Edward Ephraim Cross Part 2 on January 5, 2009.


About Us  •  Support  •  Archives  •  Subscribe  •  Creative Commons License