Dec 30

“Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

Similar to what we did last Friday, today we’ll be taking a look at eight images from the “Detroit Photographic Company,” which documented a number of structures and buildings in the Gettysburg area at the turn of the 20th century. The Detroit Photographic Company was later called the Detroit Publishing Company, and specialized in postcards of American Landscapes. The company famously employed William Henry Jackson, and went out of business in the 1920s.

“Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“Jennie Wade House, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“The Peach Orchard and 3rd Mich. Infantry Monument, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“Round Top from Devil’s Den, Gettysburg, Pa.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“Devil’s Den, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“High water mark, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

“Headquarters of Gen. Geo. G. Meade, Gettysburg.” This view was taken by the Detroit Photographic Company circa 1903 and is part of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.


About Us  •  Support  •  Archives  •  Subscribe  •  Creative Commons License